After releasing a WordPress plugin called Free CDN, I got a request from Mike Colburn to somehow extend my plugin so that rewriting hosts for commerical CDNs – those big names like Limelight, Akamai, Velocix, EdgeCast etc is supported. I am so lucky that Mike is an expert with CDNs – he even works for one of the biggest companies of the field – so with the great help from him, I’ve managed to implement this new plugin called CDN Rewrites, as I feel for Free CDN it’s a little out of scope.
Basically, CDN Rewrites allows a WordPress user to specify two important variables: an orgin host (says
http://www.yoursite.com) and a “destination host” (like
http://www.static.yoursite.com). It will then find all the static contents from that orgin host and rewrite them into the destination so that they will be delivered from there. For example,
http://www.yoursite.com/wp-content/uploads/a-big-image.png may be rewritten into
http://www.images.yoursite.com/a-big-image.png depending on your settings.
Because of the way it works, this plugin may cover Free CDN’s main feature too: you can rewrite
http://www.yoursite.com.nyud.net to make use of Coral CDN without having Free CDN installed.
- Multiple profiles are supported, allowing different contents to be treated differently
- You can exclusively select the content types for each profile – currently supporting JS, CSS, images, inline background images, and <object>’s
- Additional URL’s can be added as excludes
- Debug mode gives you a good preview to make sure nothing goes wrong
- Works normally with other plugins. Especially useful if run along with WP Super Cache
- AJAX’ed admin section makes it quick and easy to adjust the settings
Installation and Documentation
- Download the plugin
- Extract into a folder
- Upload the entire to `wp-content/plugins/` directory of your WordPress installation
- Enable it via Plugins panel
- Head to Settings->CDN Rewrites and create the first profile.
- You’re ready to go!
FAQ and History
Head to plugin Codex page.
There’s no demo yet – I don’t use commerical CDN personally and understandably
Download the latest brain dumps and pass your JN0-350 as well as 650-195 certification exam in first attempt guaranteed.