Referrer Detector is a plugin that displays a greetings to users who come from various internet sources (known as referrers). For example, you may want to welcome Diggers with a message that reminds them to digg your story, or you may want to ask Del.icio.us users to bookmark your post, and so on.
Not only about a cool greeting box, it greatly helps to more efficiently interacts with your readers and build a better relationship between you (your website) and them.
- Download the plugin
- Extract into a folder
- Upload the entire to
wp-content/plugins/directory of your WordPress installation
- Enable it via Plugins panel
- It should now work out of the box. If you want to tweak a bit, head to Settings->Referrer Detector
- A pure AJAXed admin interface with elements tidily divided into tabs. Entries can be added/modified/(de)activated/deleted without the need to reload the entire page, or even with just one click. Starting from 3.2, there are even bulk actions!
- The greet box position can be set to before, after, or (starting from 3.2) both before and after the post. A custom tag can also be used in case you don’t want to show greetings on every post.
- Users can also put a tag (
<?php if (function_exists('referrer_detector')) referrer_detector(); ?>) into the template to show the greet box anywhere of choice.
- Excluded URLs can be specified in order to hide the greet box from specific users (like ones from Google Reader).
- A * wildcard character can be used in both referrers and excluded URLs. For example: google.* will apply for all localized Google domains.
- Multiple URLs can be merged into one entry, seperated by commas. For example: del.icio.us,delicious.com.
- Ability to include WordPress attributes like url, title, author, category etc. into the greetings.
- A STAT panel to get data reporting about the visitor statistic.
- Many installed-by-default entries (which can be restored anytime with one click). Upon installing, you will have these entries available:
- 9 rules
- Del.icio.us and Delicious.com
- Google Search
- Live Search
- Yahoo Search
- [NEW in 4.0] Automatically detect user’s country and display the localized greetings (if any).
- [NEW in 4.0] Ability to backup and restore entries, excluded URLs, and options, very convenient for transferring between sites.
- Optimized OOP code allows extreme readability and easy modifications for other plugin developers.
For FAQ, screenshots, and other notes, please head to WordPress Codex.